Worth It?

Saying that it has been quite a hectic week is an understatement.  I was swamped moving out of my house, getting my wine shipment all straightened out, checking out, trying (unsuccessfully) to sell my car, and tons of other random tasks that needed attention prior to my departure.  I will try and post as much as I can this week during my trip to Germany to get some medical business taken care of.

So, before I start getting ready to see some meteorites, tonight being one of the peak viewing nights this year for the Perseid Meteor Shower, I wanted to post a couple of photos and pose a question.  Without having been there yourselves, seeing the top photo of the crowds in Oia, Greece, would you say it is worth it?  Some of these people had been waiting over 3 hours for their “spot”, traveling from all over the world to see this sunset.  Maybe that was the reason for all the angry name calling, pushes and shoves, and general bitterness that was thrown my way as I slowly made my way around trying to get some decent (unobstructed) photos.  So, for a mediocre-at-best sunset over this storied little town, would you sit and wait with all these chatty tourists for hours?

If you missed it, I posted a photo from our second evening’s sunset here, which was ten times more enjoyable.

Don’t forget, I will be drawing another name tomorrow from all of the subscribers for Free Prints!  You can see some of the winners and their photos here!  All you need to do to be eligible is subscribe on the upper right column!  Good luck!

Thanks for visiting and don’t forget to subscribe!

1. Michele says:

When Ilana and I went there we met a group for a college in the US whose Professor had taken them to that spot. They were drinking wine and listening to their Professor speak. I did not think it was so great, and based on the pictures I have seen of your sunset/sunrise I do not think going there was worth the hassle and the tourists.

2. Truth is summer months are not really the best for visiting popular islands like Santorini. From your shots however it seems it was worth it! All the best on your “medical business”!

I’m not to keen on crowds to I wouldn’t like it, great photo’s though.

The photos are great, Adam, but I try to avoid crowds if at all possible.

Superb sunset, Adam

6. Sandy says:

I’m not certain I would have sat there and waited if it were that crowded. I probably would have tried for a different viewpoint of the location or just gone with a whole different sunset shot if possible. I think your other, uncrowded shot was just a beautiful and less stressful. :) Beautiful photos of what looks to be a gorgeous place.

7. Nancy pryor says:

It was worth it for me! I am able to enjoy it because of what you endured to capture the image. Thanks.

8. Bettye Peterson says:

I love your photographs, but I, personally, would not battle crowds. I try to avoid them!

I backpacked through Europe when I was in University and Santorini was one of my stops. I remember it being crowded with tourists but because (at the time) I was more interested in partying then in photographing I didn’t have to fight the crowds for the perfect spot I just got one anyway. maybe that’s the trick…not working to hard for it. Would I do it again…in a heartbeat. Fabulous images Adam.

Beautiful sunset for sure. I guess this is one of those situations where once you’ve committed to making the trek, there is little to do but make the best of it, crowds aside. Knowing what the tourist crowds are like in advance would definitely affect my decision though.

Nice work and good luck in Germany.

11. I’m with Jimi here, once committed there should be no turning back. I believe the shots were worthwhile but just maybe not the very best available due to the limited access because of the crowds.

Good luck in Germany. I hope your “medical business” works out OK.

12. Mats says:

I missed the “fireworks”, too cloudy here in Sweden. Too bad, hope you got some cool shots?

13. Wow, Adam. What a great pair of shots here, my friend! Sorry to hear about the issues encountered while trying to capture these… but I have to say I feel it is indeed quite worth it!

14. I hate crowds too, but these are still beautiful images Adam! Great job.

15. Brian Sanchez says:

Definitely “worth it!” Greece in the summer is everyone’s dream. And you did a great job capturing the reason why everyone wants to be there!

16. Sweet shots, love that second one Adam

17. Rich McPeek says:

Love both the shots Adam! Was it worth it? I guess you’re the only one who can truly answer that. I think the photos are great, but I didn’t have to go through what you did to get em! Enjoy your travels! Look forward to more!

18. Cathy Mayhue says:

Hey Adam! Loved the pictures.. They are so stunningly beautiful! I haven’t been able to visit Greece so far.. I have always wanted to visit Greece!

Thanks for the lovely pics :)!

19. Marcie says:

These sunset photos (in this and the previous post) absolutely take my breath away. Stunning…simply stunning!!!

If it was a couple of years ago when I was searching for those famous photo spots, yea it probably would have been worth it. Now that I’ve shot and hung out in those crowded tourists spots, it’s definitely not worth it. Your other shot is much better and one of my favorites. I like to go when others won’t go or where other people haven’t been (much). I like that fresh perspective. I do want a shot of Santorini. It’s on my bucket list. Some day.