Revisiting Padula

If you would like to be notified when I publish new and exciting photos so you don’t miss a thing, please enter your email on the right under Subscribe via Email!  Thanks!

Welcome back! With some down time this weekend, I was able to catch up on editing and maintenance.  I added a bunch of new prints to the online print store and dove back in to some of my archives to give some old photos a new feel.

A few months back, we traveled to the mountain side town of Padula, just south of Salerno, and the town my father’s side of the family has its roots.  Before we visited the actual town, we stopped to see the Monastery at the base of the mountain, the Certosa di San Lorenzo.  Designated a World Heritage Site, the Certosa is a grand Monastery with rooms, coutyards, and pathways that seem to go on forever.  This Carthusian Monastery is the second largest in Italy, Parma’s being the largest.  It was founded in 1306 and has the largest cloister in the world which covers three acres!

I decided to process all of these in black and white because I felt the monochrome treatment would better focus your attention on the beautiful architecture, dynamic lighting and sharp details.  I posted some of these a while back but like the results below much better.

All of these photos below were run through Nik’s Silver Efex Pro.  Try it for free here and save 15% off the already low price!

Thanks for visiting!  Feel free to share by clicking any of the buttons below!

some beauties in this series

2. Rich McPeek says:

Gorgeous shots Adam! The black and white works awesome on these!

Outstanding B&W series, Adam.
    I really like all of these. That floor in the second shot is crazy wild. Love it!
    Well done, man.

4. Mats says:

Nice series! It would be nice to see some before-and-after photos of the silver efex if possible? Like compare between that and a more basic conversion?

5. Kris Koeller says:

Excellent shots. Looks like an amazing place!

Outstanding series of images Adam. You are becoming a master at B&W images. My roots are also from the Salerno area. My mother’s family name is Salerno!

These shots of the Monastery look amazing in B&W. I looked back at some of the color versions and I prefer the black and whit. Great work.

Wow Adam…really incredible series of shots. I was trying to pick a favorite and was having a hard time but I think if I had to it would be spiral staircase looking up to the window. Just love it.

9. Dave DiCello says:

What an impressive set of shots here Adam, amazing details in all of them!

10. Nice series, that staircase is killer!

11. A.Barlow says:

these are outstanding man! Really like that garden shot with the fountain and the one with the stairs and the little… bowl? Fountain thing? Anyways, looks cool.

12. What a great series Adam!I love what you did in B/W.

13. My friend… what a breathtaking series!!! Thank you so much for sharing these pieces with us, they each can stand on their own as a masterpiece, but as a collection it’s beyond description.

It’s so good to see a complete series in black and white. It pares the subjects back to their basic lines, tones and shapes and that works well. It also suits images of buildings from the past. Well done.

15. lisa says:

Adam, each of these is simply magnificent.
    You are truly such a talented photographer!

16. Arely Lastra says:

Very beautiful, Adam

17. Joyce says:

Adam,
    I love all the photos of the home village, but being the Italian peasant I am, would also like to see all of them in color, too.

Very excited to hear about your trip. We will definitely have to have a big family get-together when you return.

Joyce

18. Bonnie says:

Your photos are beautiful. I visited Padula and the Certosa last year. My mother’s side of the family comes from there and I still have family there that I didn’t know about. What a lovely town.