Through the Woods…

For all the Lightroom users out there, Lightroom 4 Beta is now available for testing and (as far as I know) is open to the public.  I downloaded my Beta last night and am eager to test it out after work today.  Pro Photographer Adam Lerner made a nice little Youtube video talking about the upgrade here. Here are some of the new features as stated on Adobe’s website:

• Highlight and shadow recovery brings out all the detail that your camera captures in dark shadows and bright highlights.
  • Photo book creation with easy-to-use elegant templates.
  • Location-based organization lets you find and group images by location, assign locations to images, and display data from GPS-enabled cameras.
  • White balance brush to refine and adjust white balance in specific areas of your images.
  • Additional local editing controls let you adjust noise reduction and remove moiré in targeted areas of your images.
  • Extended video support for organizing, viewing, and making adjustments and edits to video clips.
  • Easy video publishing lets you edit and share video clips on Facebook and Flickr®.
  • Soft proofing to preview how an image will look when printed with color-managed printers.
  • Email directly from Lightroom using the email account of your choice.

The Beta trial period is available until March, when it will expire and you can choose to buy the full version.  You can get to Adobe’s download page here.

Below is another shot from last weekend’s hike up Mt. Vesuvius in Naples, Italy.  Views like this were plentiful, and the variation of scenery was astounding.  It was pretty amazing to find such an amazing forest atmosphere in such a hustle and bustle place like Naples.

I processed this with Lightroom 3 and Silver Efex Pro.  You can get your free Silver Efex Pro trial here!

Thanks for the visit!

Thanks for the information on Lightroom. I’ve heard it’s good from the organizational properties point of view – as my library of images grows, I increasingly need a multi-layered filing system.
    I always enjoy images that lead you round a corner and this is no exception. Nice diagnonal slope to the whole image and that little fence provides the line. Looks good in B&W

I’ve been playing with the Beta and so far I am very pleased with it. The new book module is pretty good. The new develop sliders have been improved a great deal.

Nice image Adam, really sets a great mood.

3. Sweet shot, would love to hike around there myself, I like the B&W treatment also. I downloaded LR last night, have not had a chance to play with it yet. Maybe you could help me with this one, I have LR3, will 4 automatically grab my library from 3, or do I have to run 2 versions? Your help would be appreciated

• Adam Allegro says:

Hey Mike, thanks for the comment. From what I have read/seen so far, it will run as a stand alone program, not interacting with LR3 at all. In fact, because it is a Beta, I wouldn’t recommend taking any files from 3 and importing. Rather, take some raw files you want to edit, make a new folder, and copy the RAWs in to that folder, then import those copied files. This way if anything were to happen to LR4 for any reason (since it is still a beta), you would not risk losing your RAW’s… make sense..? Watch the video from Adam on youtube, he goes in to this in a bit more detail!

Great shot Adam…very moody and kinda scary. What was around the bend? You know…I don’t use LR yet. I’ve been meaning to get it maybe now’s the time.

• Adam Allegro says:

Yes, it is high time you started with Lightroom Edith!!! :) Get the Beta, if you like it, get the full version when it comes out. I wouldn’t get LR 3 (although they usually give a 50% discount or so for the upgrade if you own a previous version). Around the bed, I can’t remember… it wasn’t too interesting… :)

5. Dave DiCello says:

Wow, this is beautiful man, one of my favorites of yours! Stunning use of B&W and a great write up on LR 4!

Wow, looks like something out of a fairy tale! Love the processing of this image!

7. Really digging the processing here Adam. Gives it a bit of an old-world feel.

8. Eden says:

Good stuff Adam :)

9. lisa says:

What a beautiful photograph Adam!
    You are going to love LR4.
    Some pretty amazing changes.

10. Great shot Adam! I like the mystery of the disappearing path which is helped greatly by the B&W treatment.

11. Ken Bello says:

The highlight and shadow recovery alone may be worth the upgrade. This could be very close to the finished product.

12. Hennie says:

I am really happy that I have found the photo here..Thanks a lot for the share!!

13. Carrie says:

I love the shot Adam!!You are my inspiration here…