In the Bowels of the Amphitheater

If you are ever in Naples, Italy, and in search of a pristine, historic, and authentic ancient Roman experience, head no further than the Amphitheater in Pozzuoli.  While the external structure is only so-so, when you descend into its intestines, you will be significantly rewarded.  I posted my favorite shot from the outing yesterday, but the rest of them turned out almost as cool.  Please scroll down through all of them and think to yourself that what you are seeing is almost exactly as it was over 1700 years ago… Click the picture to see it larger.

This amphitheater is the third largest in all of Italy (Only the Roman Coliseum and Capua Amphitheater are larger).

The Flavian Amphitheater (Anfiteatro flaviano puteolano), sits in upper Pozzuoli, a 15 minute walk from the harbor.

This monstrous place was capable of seating over 20,000 people in its heyday!

Various battles were re-lived in this place, including Naval Battles!  They would flood the entire Amphitheater for these battles.

You can see the level of detail that still exists in these various rooms.  The state of preservation is fantastic.

The site of the structure was chosen at the nearby crossing of roads from Naples, Capua, and Cumae. It was abandoned when it was partially buried by eruptions from the nearby Solfatara Volcano. It was during the medieval period that the marble used on the exterior was stripped. This had the fortunate result of leaving the interior alone and perfectly preserved. Excavations of the site were performed 1839 to 1845, 1880 to 1882, and finally in 1947.

The Flavian Amphitheater is the second of two Roman amphitheaters built in Pozzuoli. The smaller and older amphitheater (Anfiteatro minore) has been almost totally destroyed by the construction of the Rome to Naples railway line.

I tried to process these pictures to make them as close to what it really looked like.

Finally, one of my favorite shots, this little guy was hanging out with us the whole time, his very nice parents speaking to my mother while I was off shooting.  While wandering around, he stumbled in to this photo.  I think it adds so much more to the picture!

Thank you so much for the visit.  Feel free to download and use as wallpaper or share!  If you enjoyed the post, please  Click the Stumbleupon button below!

1. soria says:

nicely captured images. I like the effect of the sunlight of a picture with a boy in it. It is surely a wonderful experience to visit that amphitheater.

I think this is your best series yet Adam. All wonderfully shot and processed. It always amazes me what you can find when you explore!

Fantastic series Adam. The photos are amazing and the story behind the amphitheater is just as interesting.

4. Dave DiCello says:

I’m really digging all the different angles here Adam, you have certainly done it justice! Awesome lighting in all of them for sure, enjoyed your write up as well!

5. Curt Fleenor says:

Outstanding shots Adam!

6. Terrific series Adam. I love the way the sunlight hits the various rooms of the amphitheater in different ways.

7. Rob says:

Awesome series of photos and work! I enjoy the bit of history lesson. Difficult to comprehend how old the structure is.

Fantastic set of images, Adam. Great tones and textures.
    I like the first shot with those lines and light, but the young boy takes the prize. :-) Awesome processing, man.

9. What an interesting place (I love those trails of light)! Spectacular job!

Great set of images! What a wonderful place. Love those light rays!

11. Marc Collins says:

Love the light rays on that bottom image!
    Great use of HDR

12. Amazing images Adam! I love the processing. The light rays in several shots is so beautiful. Great job.

13. Maxhine Yap says:

I really enjoy the pictures you posted here. They look so beautiful with the light. The last picture with a boy on it looks like the room was covered with gold. Love to see more pictures from your trip Adam.

• Adam Allegro says:

Thank you Maxhine!! I actually live about 10 minutes from this place!! I will most definitely go back, probably a different time of day for different lighting. This weekend however, I will be going to Sweden for 4 days of photography. I will have tons of new images when I return. Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment!

awesome work today Adam, love it

15. This place looks absolutely amazing! Wonderful shots, love the lighting.

16. Very cool! I’ve never been there but your photos definitely make it look enchanting.

17. Corinne says:

Fabulous photos! And the information about the amphitheater Made the pictures come alive even more.